Sunday, July 29, 2012

BIG MIRACLE...(operation breakthrough)

Its so sweet how people can sacrifice there lives to help a bunch of innocent animals,i once heard about this story when i was a kid,Justin a friend of mine which back then he was among my  oldest friends i had,he had this magazine (it wasn't in good shape i remember) where it explained about this tragic event that happened in Alaska in 1988, three gray whales from pack ice in the Beaufort Sea near Point Barrow in the U.S. state of Alaska  were trapped in pack ice.
This year a movie was released called Big miracle.Its a nice movie i would comment but according to the real story there a lot missing.

that's the movie cover above.. but below i will share the true story on what really happened..the story is from trusted sources.
On October 7, 1988, Inuit hunter Roy Ahmaogak discovered three gray whales trapped in pack ice in the Beaufort Sea near Point Barrow in the U.S. state of Alaska. The hunter used a chainsaw to attempt cutting a path in the ice leading to open water. Fellow villagers helped the hunter by using water pumps to keep ice from reforming overnight. Word spread through the Inuit community about the whales, and biologists from North Slope Borough, Alaska visited the site and realized the danger. A skycrane was proposed to create holes in the ice using a 5-ton hammer.
The first news story about the trapped whales was in Anchorage, Alaska a week later. Rescuers tried to borrow a barge from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to break the ice and clear a path, but the barge was locked in. The whales' plight gained more attention from the media as journalists called North Slope Borough and flew to the site. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration sent a team of whale biologists, and the United States Department of State requested the help of two icebreakers from the Soviet Union, the Vladimir Arseniev and the Admiral Makarov.
While the whales remained in their initial area, they were given Inuit names Putu, Siku, and Kanik and English names Bonnet, Crossbeak, and Bone, respectively. The youngest whale (Bone), nine months old, died on October 21. On October 28, the Admiral Makarov broke apart a ridge of Arctic ice that was 400 yards wide and 30 feet high. The Vladimir Arseniev cleared the icy rubble to create a large enough path for the remaining two whales to escape. After the path was cut observers could find no sign of the whales and the operation was declared a success. The remaining whales were reportedly in very poor health at the time of the rescue and because radio tags were never attached it is unknown if the animals survived.
The rescue effort cost US$1 million (US$1.97 million in today's terms) and was criticized by some scientists. 
           That being said, the movie is actually a good story with an excellent linear pattern. Drew Barrymore and John Krasinski nailing it ,good acting i would say .

1 comment:

  1. BlueHost is ultimately the best hosting company with plans for any hosting requirements.